My Blog List

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Amsterdam Memories

Amsterdam is a fun and interesting city! You've already seen our hotel and a couple of other photos, but since we spent several days there, we have lots more.  I will try to pick only a few.


Our hotel was right around the corner from the Museumplein, the huge square where several museums are located.  You can see the Rijks Museum and the enormous Amsterdam sign in the background.  Lots of young people enjoyed climbing on the sign for photo ops. We spent some time in the museum, specifically to see Rembrandt's Nightwatch painting again. It is BIG and takes up a whole wall on the top floor of the museum along with other classical paintings and is a popular spot to visit.



The buildings, both old and new, are all very beautiful.  I especially liked the concert hall.



This hotel had even higher narrow stairs than ours!  And among the flowers is one of my favorites, the black-eyed Susan vine.


Many of the houses have a hook at the top for moving furniture to the higher floors. The stairs inside are too narrow!


Flowers are everywhere in Amsterdam, even growing in the tiniest places, and sometimes out of a crack in the sidewalk.



We had fun trying different restaurants. This one seemed to have a permanent guest that was not interested in either spaghetti or pizza.  She was sound asleep when we first noticed her.

We took this photo for a choir friend.  When she was 17 and newly graduated from high school, she came to Amsterdam and worked in this hotel as a chamber maid. It's right across from the train station. Once, on her recommendation, we stayed there, but not this time.

After several days, it was time to leave this beautiful city, knowing we'd be back on our way back home to Seattle. There were many places we didn't visit because we ran out of time. Another trip perhaps? 

Next stop, Brussels. Stay tuned.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the "little" kitty lacked for many meals. LOL

What amazes me about those buildings is how massive and "fancy" they are AND they were built without our modern power tools.

Simply amazing!

Cat said...

Wonderful pictures! I so love the architecture in Europe. Enjoy Brussels!

Nancy said...

I'll probably never get to visit Amsterdam, so I enjoy seeing your photos. Don't be shy, show more if you want.

Lynn said...

I think I have some catching up on your blog to do. A trip to Europe!! Amsterdam seems like such a fascinating city. Now I'll have to put it on my list of places I want to go to. Brussels next, I'm looking forward to seeing where else.

Janet said...

What a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing your photos. Looking forward to Brussels.

elns said...

Beautiful, I only spent a 2 days in Amsterdam when I was 19. You remind me I'd love to go back one day!

Can't wait for the next post!

kathy b said...

Judy, You two are traveling ones! Love all your shots. Im happy to hear there are so many beautiful flowers everywhere!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures. Even in these, I could feel the history of the place, and would love to see it all myself.

Rian said...

Thanks for the memories. Amsterdam is such a beautiful city. I love Europe...

Caffeine Girl said...

It's been almost 30 years since I was last in Amsterdam. I am thrilled to see it has lost none of its charm.

Mereknits said...

I LOVED Amsterdam when I visited a few years ago. Glad you did too.
Hugs,
Meredith

Cranberry Morning said...

What a great trip, Judy! How I would love to visit Amsterdam!

Merry said...

Oh wow, you have been busy travelling. What wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. Love all the flowers and the buildings are amazing.

Unknown said...

Amsterdam looks like a very beautiful city! Thanks for the tour. Glad you had a wonderful time exploring the area.