My Blog List

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Aloha!

We just got back earlier this week from 10 days in Maui.   Despite the fact that the weather was less than stellar, we had a great time. It was warm, but rainy and windy also for quite a few of the days; in fact, I never even got out my swimsuit! We had fun exploring though and saw lots of interesting flowers, plants, and wildlife.



Our condo looked right out onto the water and a couple of times we saw humpback whales frolicking in the distance.



Some interesting birds visited our patio each day.




Our younger daughter and her family were there, too; they were the ones who convinced us to come and our time there overlapped a few days with theirs. Their condo was about an hour away, but we still managed to visit them each day.  


One afternoon, we went into Lahaina Town and walked around in Banyan Tree Park.  Just one tree makes up the whole park!  It's 60 feet tall and 200 feet wide and dates back to 1873!




Not too far from the park, a man was offering to photograph people with his parrots.  He had 7 of them, all different, and they were fun to watch.



In the lot where we parked, we discovered a breadfruit tree


and saw these beautiful hills in the distance. 



In another post I'll show some photos from our excursions after the kids left when we had some time to explore on our own.  But for now, I'm headed to bed as I'm still not used to the time change, and we have to be a church early to sing tomorrow. G'night!

12 comments:

Araignee said...

Wow! What spectacular scenery. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Merry said...

What fantastic photos...how lucky to see those hump back whales swimming by. That is one impressive tree. Looks like such wonderful time, thanks for sharing the photos.

Becca said...

Hi welcome home! Lovely photos! Even during the rain is be sitting right there on that covered patio! Glad you had fun.

Mereknits said...

Wow, what an amazing trip. Just to see whales would be worth it.
Hugs,
Meredith

Anonymous said...

That bird with the red head is SO beautiful. It must have been thrilling to see the whales.

I get to see dolphins quite often, but they don't flip their tails up like the whale did. Great photo!

Did you eat some breadfruit? I saw it on sale here recently, but I was not brave enough to buy one.

Tired Teacher said...

Maui is a great place to visit! I'm envious that the whales surfaced so close to shore. That didn't happen when I was there. Eagerly awaiting more photos.

karen said...

how wonderful that you were on vacation and you overlapped with family!!!

kathy b said...

Aloha, I missed you! Hawaii!! Its been about 22 years for us. We stayed in Maui and saw that very tree.
Did you knit on the plane on the way there? You have a much shorter journey!

Tanna said...

What fun! Hawaii AND overlapping with kiddos! Those banyan trees are amazing! Glad you are safely home. blessings ~ tanna

Janet said...

Wonderful photos. So glad you enjoyed your trip.

elns said...

What a great holiday. I don't mind Hawaii even in the less than stellar weather. Your pictures remind me you just can't deny you're in the tropics there! I love the trip was more special with having your family there :) I've never been to Maui, but when I go I will want to see the amazing 1 banyan tree park!

Cat said...

Wow such a fun vacation! And I am so impressed by that giant tree! Neat trip!